Monday 20 January 2014

Welsh Rarebit

Today apparently is Welsh Rarebit day. I can't remember where I read that fact but it was enough for me to start dreaming of it.  I don't think I have ever had it since my Nanny Kate made it for me when I stayed with her last. Must of been a good 20 years ago.  So a bit of research and adjusting to what I had I came up with this. Not maybe true to form but it was luxurious and sinful poshed up cheese on toast that should not be forgotten for another 20 years.

20g butter
20 g plain flour
100ml warm milk
150g mature cheddar, grated
1 scant teaspoon English mustard

150 ml ale, I used a local one
1/2 scant teaspoon marmite ( run out of Worcestershire sauce)

Start by making a REALLY thick white sauce by gently melting the butter over a low heat and then stirring in the plain flour and gradually add in the milk stirring the whole time until you have a thick white gloopy lump almost.  Stir in the mustard and grated cheese well to combine and take it off the heat.  Mine still looked a bit lumpy as cheese hadn't quite melted 



Then heat your chosen ale in a pan until it's reduced by half.  I then stirred the marmite through this until it had dissolved and took it off the heat to cool very slightly


Stir and beat the ale mix through the cheese mix and you are left with a lovely thick shiny mix.


In our case we toasted 3 slices of bread, although the mix would of done 4, on one side.  Turned the bread over and spread the Rarebit mixture over the bread and placed back under the grill until brown in places and bubbling.



I think I might of slightly overdone the cheese topping here. We used bread from an uncut loaf and not the 'plastic' slices of bread which seem to support the topping better. 

Happy Welsh Rarebit Day 


No comments:

Post a Comment