Wednesday 29 May 2013

Toad in the hole


Toad in the hole is one of our favourites.  Got to be done with gravy, preferably onion, and if my kids are anything to go by mash potato.  A while ago I was interested and tried a recipe from Jamie Olivers 15 minute meals where he warmed up a frying pain, sizzled some oil and rosemary and added the Yorkshire pudding mix and after a minute or 2 it went into the oven for 10-12 minutes I think it was. Which worked great we loved the additional flavour of rosemary and fast Yorkshire pudding.  So I had to give it a go with sausages to make toad in the hole. 

Preheat oven to around gas mark 6-7 

Add six fat sausages and sizzle in a pan. I did mine about 3/4 cooked.  Browned nicely and a little oil in the bottom of the pan.  The sausages I use tend to not give out much fat so I add a little which helps brown the sausages and grease the pan. 

My pan is not a big pan.  It's about the size of a dinner plate with deep sides.  Made by Viners and most importantly ovenproof.

How I make my Yorkshire pudding batter is put eggs in a measuring jug,  I used 2 eggs here which came up to the 100 ml mark so I added in 100 ml of milk and 100 ml of plain flour and seasoned and whisked up together until lump free.  Given size of pan I should of used 3 eggs but it still did it's job OK with 2. 

Pour the batter over the sausages making sure everything is hot and sizzling as you do so.

  Leave for a minute or two on the hob until the edges go almost frilly or start to set then put in the oven for 15-20 minutes

And you should have a beautifully risen and puffy Yorkshire pudding in a pan with the sausages fully cooked through either peaking out of the batter or almost looking like they are floating on top. Simple meal but family favourite, and certainly not hard as some people think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment