Thursday 30 May 2013

Chinese style BBQ rub


We had a BBQ on Sunday and a rather interesting assortment of food on it.  But these were something I had worked out a rub for earlier on during the day. They are thin pork belly slices with skin on so it crackled :o) It is usual to be able to get a dark red gloopy version dubious looking and to sweet and aniseed flavour from most shops or butchers.  I wanted something similar but not so slap you round the face. so I made up a simple spice rub for the 6 small slices I had I mixed up 

1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
pinch of sea salt flakes
3/4 teaspoon of garlic granules
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika 

rubbed it into the meat and put in a bowl covered for around 3 hours in the fridge.  Next time I might add in a teaspoon of sesame oil just for that extra flavour, but I lost my bottle that day!

They were a very nice addition and will definitely be using this rub again on other things to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment