Thursday 23 May 2013

Black pudding and duck egg scotch eggs

We were supposed to have a picnic on Sunday, we ended up having it indoors and the trip abandoned for various reasons.  But on Saturday we shopped for our picnic.  And at our local farm shop we found duck eggs and pork sausages containing black pudding.  What a combination huh? 

I made 3 and for this I used
3 duck eggs (boiled for 8 minutes, cooled and peeled)
6 sausages (they weren't that big but good quality so don't shrink much)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 egg beaten
dried breadcrumbs ( I used half a tub out the cupboard as found them and trying to empty cupboards)


Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 and very lightly oil a baking tray

Scotch eggs traditionally are fried but I cannot be doing with the smell of deep frying in the house, it just lingers was to long

place the beaten egg and breadcrumbs in separate bowls

squeeze the sausage meat out of their skins or cut along the skins and extract meat and place in a bowl and squidge in the parsley. Divide to mixture into 3 and wet your hands slightly.

Take a third of the meat mix and flatten it our in your palms until it is big enough to wrap around an egg.  Place one of the eggs in the middle and draw up the sides around the egg and mould it round with your hands and sealing the gap and shaping it so it looks like a large meat egg.  Reapeat with the other eggs and then time to get gungy.

Rolls the eggs one at a time in the beaten egg and then in the breadcrumbs pressing them in gently but firmly. I do this with one hand so you have a clean hand for emergencies or passing things to the kids etc

place on your baking tray and I spray a fine mist of oil over them from a spray pump but it doesn't need it but it does help it go a golden brown a bit more I have found.  25 minutes in the oven and then take out of the oven and resist diving in as long as possible


For some reason they looked a bit bald in the photo but they weren't as bad as they look honest!

And an inside view,  it may look as if there is not a lot of meat around the egg.  The truth is the eggs are almost twice the size of the chicken eggs I usually use so believe me when I say there is more sausage there than there looks.

These are excellent warm or cool and great for lunches, picnics or for packed lunches.  So versatile. 


I think the trick to scotch eggs really is to use a decent sausage meat.  I buy sausages from our local butcher or farm shop and they are a high percentage of actual meat and always have a great selection of flavours.  In the farm shops case they are made on site from their own free range animals. I have had some great chats with the butchers and staff there over cooking methods, recipes and what a jacobs ladder is! Always happy to help and I am always pleased with the quality I get there, and they always have something on sale and samples in the shop to eat usually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment