Monday 16 January 2012

Garlicky fondant potatoes



Last night we had Salmon for dinner.  Very nice it was to.  What I was stuck for was a little inspiration of what to go with it. Didn't want to do roast potatoes just because it was Sunday, not that boys would of minded, or boiled or plain new potatoes with butter and mint. Seemed the wrong season for that somehow.  So on our walk to the shop we found Charlotte potatoes on offer.  First problem solved.  Googling came up with the idea for Garlicky fondant potatoes . I halved the recipe as I didn't need to feed 8.  Although my eldest son wouldn't of mind eating a mountain of these. 

Start off heating oven at gas mark 6 

1/2 teaspoon olive oil
25grams butter
1 garlic clove crushed or finely grated, we used 2 but was namby pamby garlic needed more 
750 grams Charlotte potatoes, halved if large 
500 ml vegetable stock
sprig of thyme, we had Lemon thyme and worked well


heat oil and butter in either a roasting tin or a pan you can use on hob and in the oven. When melted add your garlic on a medium heat and stir in cooking for 2 minutes. Tip in your potatoes and stir to coat in the garlic butter making sure all are glistening. 

Pour in your stock and season with salt and ground black pepper. Bring this all up to the boil and place in preheated oven uncovered for 40-45 minutes, I left mine in for 50 but all ovens are different, The potatoes should be tender if stabbed with a knife and a fair amount of stock left in the pan.  At this point you transfer the potatoes back onto your hob over a medium heat and stir occasionally while the stock evaporates and leaves the potatoes coated in a slightly chewy but delicious buttery coating and the potatoes are meltingly soft and fluffy.  Pick off your thyme leaves from the stem and sprinkle over before serving.

Sure this took a little faffing and careful watching at the end, but it was  worth it :o) One I will add to my list of family favourites and try out on other family members really soon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love the sound of this and may just have to give them a go. I am actually swooning, I love garlic and potatoes cooked like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how they go please. We loved them but as I said needed more garlic or stronger garlic :o)

    ReplyDelete